Last week we heard the much welcomed update from the Prime Minster and the State Premiers of a 3 step approach to easing restrictions to a sustainable COVID-19 safe economy in July 2020 (of course subject to a strong epidemiology results, testing tracing and local health response capacity). (Click here for more details)
Not sure about you, but us here at Integrated HR can’t wait for school to resume as normal (we now have even more respect for teachers!), to work together in the same office as a team and for things to return to a new normal – whatever that may be.
But, as a business owner, are you prepare for a staged return to business and have you considered what will be the new normal for you and your business?
If you haven’t already thought about how to return your workforce to the office, below are 6 things to consider:
- Team A and Team B working alternative weeks
- Staggering start and finishing times to reduce crowding on public transport, reduce crowding in the elevators etc
- Social distancing within the workplace i.e. sitting further apart, not sharing ‘hot desks’, staggering lunch breaks
- How to greet any visitors / client’s coming into the workplace i.e. ensuring sanitiser is available or asking people to wash hands before entering the meeting room etc
- Cleaning, wiping down key boards, door handles, desk telephones, printers, meeting room equipment, fridge in the kitchen etc.
- What to do if an employee presents with any symptoms
In short though, its not just the responsibility of the business owner but it is the responsibility of everyone coming on site. We need staff to have a responsibility for hygiene, using PPE and hand sanitiser etc.
Communicating the businesses expectations clearly to the team and anyone entering the workplace will elevate any anxiety and will reduce risk.
Safe Work Australia has been announced as the single source of guidance for employers to refer to for industry specific heath and safety support. Information such as:
- Key considerations for undertaking a risk assessment – COVID-19
- Cleaning to prevent the spread of COVID-19 Fact Sheet
- Phone and email scripts
WorkCover Queensland have advised how they are:
- reassessing employers’ premium and providing payment plan deferrals / extensions where needed.
- Working with medical/allied health and legal provides to ensure continuity in the management of claims
- Have released guides and safety data sheet requirements for chemicals in the workplace (i.e. sanitisers)
The Australian Government has also published a ‘My business’s COVIDSafe Plan’ which covers 3 key areas:
- Keeping people safe
- Adapting the business; and
- Accessing support and assistance
Call us today for an obligation free chat to see how we can help!
Each workplace has its own unique challenges. Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your outsourced human resources team.
(07) 5613 1846 email@example.com